“MUSGOS”…..Brings back memories!


Many years ago, living with my Parents, Mark and Phyllis Gould and Sister, Shana Gould, we ate very well.

Every night was home-cooked food.


I remember my Dad frequently saying on Friday’s that “tonight is ‘MUSGOS’ night!”

I also remember telling myself that when I grow up, I will NEVER have a “MUSGOS” night in my house, since I was not very fond of the idea.

Well, this week, I cooked each night as usual; however, I did not take my leftovers to work as I most often do. We are also down from 6 to 5 in the house which means we consume less.

This left me with 3 sets of leftovers that amounted to a substantial amount of food; One-half of a baked chicken, a whole steak (I cooked two that night) and one-half of sautéed chicken breast.

So, it is Friday!  It really bothered me that we had so much food left from the week. My only recourse was “Musgos” night! Since this amount of food has not happened too often, my last three at home have never heard of the term.  Marcus asked “what are we having for dinner”? And I repeated “musgos”. He just said okay then asked “is that like tacos?” I said “certainly”!

While I was alone in the kitchen which is always the case, I quickly retrieved all the items from the fridge.  I cut a large sweet onion, chopped some fresh peppers and lots of tomatoes from the garden and threw it all in the cast iron skillet of extra virgin olive oil. Chopped the leftovers, seasoned it with the usual spices; garlic, onion, red pepper, chili powder, turmeric, and even threw in some dry cooking wine.

I let it simmer for one hour and it looked amazing not to mention smelled really good.

When it was time to eat, I made sure the tortillas were heated and served it with the left over rice, one white and one red (two separate nights)!

Well they ate it all, and never was anyone aware that “MUSGOS” is a term that my Dad used for all the leftovers in the fridge that “Must Go”!

I will never say NEVER again.

Comments

Popular Posts